PUBG Developer Bluehole just announced the newest PUBG Weapon the VSS
With the announcement of the newest PUBG Weapon being the VSS. This has got us clamering to learn exactly what the VSS is and how it will be used in PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds(PUBG.) It will be added to the game in the May 25th PUBG patch.
The VSS weapon is a Russian Sniper Rifle. It is also called the Vintorez is a suppressed sniper rifle that uses a heavy subsonic 9×39mm SP5 cartridge and armor-piercing SP6 cartridge. This is an extremely powerful sniper rifle.
Will the VSS weapon be overpowered in PUBG?
There is no way to know right now, but we do expect the suppressed sniper rifle to be very hard to master. The VSS coming with a built in suppressor will make it the most popular sniper rifle in all of PUBG though.
Here are some interesting facts regarding the real VSS weapon that we found over at S&Pgaming.
- Developed in the Soviet Union and entering service in 1987, the VSS is a sniper rifle primarily used by Spetsnaz units for undercover or clandestine operations.
- One unique property of the VSS is that it can be stripped down for transport in a specially fitted briefcase.
- The VSS has an integrated suppressor that wraps around the barrel. Although the suppressor can be easily removed, the gun is meant to be used with the suppressor.
- The VSS uses subsonic 9x39mm ammo. Subsonic means the bullet doesn’t travel faster than the speed of sound. This also means bullets from the VSS won’t create loud sonic booms which further contributes to the gun’s stealth profile.
- The 9mm ammo being used by a few existing PUBG pistols and submachine guns is different from the 9x39mm ammo used by the VSS. Specifically, the current in-game 9mm ammo is of the 9x19mm Parabellum variety, which is half as heavy as the 9x39mm and produces half the muzzle energy of the 9x39mm.
- The VSS is evidently designed to conduct mid-range assassinations. The integrated suppressor, subsonic rounds, and the fact that it can be taken apart and put in a briefcase makes it a perfect urban assassination weapon. The gun’s effective range is 400m (440 yards).
- The VSS typically uses the PSO-1 telescopic sight or the 1PN51 night vision scope. In PUBG, the devs have confirmed that the VSS will have a permanent 4x scope.
- The VSS is a select-fire rifle (semi-auto or full-auto). It’s cyclic rate of fire is 700 rounds/min. The AKM, in comparison, has a cyclic rate of fire of 600 rounds/min.
- At 300m/s (1000ft/s), the VSS has an incredibly slow muzzle velocity for a sniper rifle (an easily drawn conclusion since it uses subsonic ammo). Compare this to the Kar98K, which has a muzzle velocity of 760m/s (2500 ft/s).
- The rifle was most recently used in combat in the War in Donbass, part of the recent Ukrainian civil war.